Hey everyone! I absolutely love collecting fun cups, and customizing your own is a way to keep the cost down but still have cute items in your cupboards! Here’s how you can customize your own mug using a fun design from Craft Bundles and adhesive vinyl. So let’s get started!
- Cactus Design from The Dazzling Craft Bundle
- Adhesive Vinyl (permanent glossy)
- A Blank Mug
- Cutting Machine (I used a Silhouette Cameo)
- Weeding Tool
- Transfer Tape
STEP ONE: Create your design
Open up your software and import the SVG cactus design. What’s great is these designs come ready to cut! Yay :)! Click the corner of the design and size it accordingly so that it will fit on your mug.
STEP TWO: Weed design
Now you want to peel off the vinyl that you won’t be using. Grab a corner and gently peel it. Check out those awesome cut lines!
STEP THREE: Apply design onto mug
Take a piece of transfer tape and stick it over your vinyl design. Use a scraper tool to smooth out any wrinkles.
Pro tip: When working with curved surfaces like this mug, I love using grid line transfer tape. We only have one shot at placing the vinyl onto the mug, so grid lines helps me center it as I apply the design.
Now peel off the transfer tape and you have a fun customized mug!
Tips on how to care for your mug:
- Since vinyl is a thin plastic, avoid the microwave. It will cause the vinyl to melt!
- Many people have had success with their mugs in the dishwasher on the top rack. If you do, turn the water temperature down. But to be safe, stick with hand washing it.
- If you use permanent glossy vinyl, and take care of your mug, it should hold up for a long time!
Now what cups and mugs are you going to customize using the fun Dazzling Craft Bundle??
A guest post by Audrey C, of Project Silhouette
My name is Aubrey and I am currently from Kaysville, Utah. I’m married to a wonderful husband and we have three silly, energetic kids. I love anything creative, including refinishing furniture, interior design, making fun party favors, holiday decor, and of course all things made with my Silhouette machine. I enjoy using my creativity as part of my every-day life, and I love inspiring others to do the same!
Follow me on Instagram: @projectsilhouette